March 22, 2010

Poached Salmon with Dijon Dill Sauce

Poaching fish is so easy!  I love how quickly I can prepare a meal with just a pot of boiling water!  The fish comes out so moist.  I find that the flavor is kicked down a notch too, which makes it especially welcome to sauces or, as I often enjoy it, chilled then flaked and incorporated into an adult version of a tunafish sandwich.

I’ve read that fish can be poached in any liquid, including milk and oil.  I haven’t experimented with these variations – yet.  That will definitely go on the “to do” list for The Delectable Kitchen.  In the meantime, I recommend this very simple recipe which is adapted from a similar version I found in an old Shape magazine.  Some recipes call for keeping the poaching broth at a low simmer, but this one is especially easy since you remove the saucepan from the heat as soon as it comes to a boil.  Don’t allow the fish to remain at a boil or it may fall apart.

My favorite part of this recipe is the Dijon dill cream sauce.  The cold sauce over the warm fish is a refreshing burst of fresh, distinctly herby flavor.  This sauce could be used with plenty of dishes (I even put a dollop on my couscous, in the photo above).  I especially love it over steamed vegetables!  I bet you will, too.

Poached Salmon with Dijon Dill Sauce
1 pound salmon fillets
½ cup white wine
½ cup sour cream
3 tbs fresh dill, minced
1 tbs Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper to taste

Place the salmon in a large saucepan.  Add the white wine and enough cold water to just barely cover the fish.  Bring the fish to a boil, then immediately remove it from heat and cover.  Allow to poach, untouched, for ten minutes.

Meanwhile, whisk the sour cream, dill and mustard until thoroughly blended.  Add salt and pepper to your liking.

After allowing to poach for ten minutes, remove the salmon from the water using a slotted spatula or traditional fish spatula.  Serve with a dollop of the Dijon dill sauce.  The fish can also be served chilled for a deliciously effortless brunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...