April 13, 2010

Herbed Feta Turkey Meatballs


My mom recently gave me a recipe for turkey burgers that she cut out of a newspaper in 2002.  As a huge fan of turkey burgers (whenever I try a new restaurant and see turkey burgers on the menu, I absolutely must order one), I was intrigued by the addition of mint and feta cheese.  How very Mediterranean!  I simply had to make this recipe right away.

For a bit of a twist, I shaped these into meatballs and substituted a few different herbs than the original recipe called for.  The result is a savory turkey meatball with a definite hint of the clean and crisp flavors of basil and mint.  These are so flavorful that they don’t need any sauces – just serve alongside pasta tossed with olive oil and you’ll have a marvelous meal.  The recipe would also make a pretty tasty burger, which I plan to do very soon.

Herbed Turkey Feta Meatballs
1 lb ground turkey
4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
1 leek, finely chopped
1 tbs fresh basil, finely chopped
1 tbs fresh mint, finely chopped
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp savory
salt and pepper to taste

Mix above ingredients together in a large bowl.  (I find it easy and fast to use my hands.)  Shape the mixture into meatballs or burgers, as you wish.  I find this makes about 19 golf ball-sized meatballs. 
Heat a large skillet over medium heat with 1 tablespoon olive oil.  Add the meatballs or burgers and cook, turning once, until browned and cooked throughout, about 8 minutes per side.  Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...