August 16, 2010

Quick Worknight Dinner: Pseudo Souffle


Sometimes inspiration comes in a flash.  My goal was simply to find a tasty way to use the zucchini that is currently overflowing in my kitchen.  Zucchini pancakes sounded like a great idea – and a fast way to put dinner on my plate.  I soon found that pancakes made with a minimum of flour and no egg yolks stick to a pan like magnets.  As I was trying to scrape the pancakes off of the bottom of the pan I realized that my experiment with egg whites and zucchini could be an almost-soufflé.

Technically, a soufflé is made with both egg yolks and egg whites, as I understand it.  In my effort to eat healthier, I omitted the yolks from my zucchini pancake batter.  My concoction was also devoid of butter and milk.  But when making the pancake batter I made sure that the egg whites were beaten to a stiff peak, and I knew they would puff in the oven.

So I forged ahead and poured the remaining batter into a small baking dish.  Hoorah!  The pseudo soufflé turned out to be as light, airy and tasty as I had hoped.  Sometimes kitchen accidents turn out truly appetizing!  Paired with a basil cream, it was doubly delicious, and so fast, too!  A fast and easy (and tasty) quick worknight dinner!


Pseudo Soufflé
5 cups zucchini, coarsely grated
¼ cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp sugar
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp black pepper
2 egg whites

Place the grated zucchini in a colander.  Toss with the salt and let sit for 15 minutes to drain.  When drained, place the zucchini in a large bowl and add the flour, sugar and pepper.  Mix well to coat.  Meanwhile, beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks.  Now is also a good time to preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Carefully add to the zucchini mixture.  Gently pour the mixture into a small baking dish.

Bake the pseudo soufflé for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the eggs are no longer loose and the top is ever so slightly browned.  Eat immediately and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...