September 27, 2010

Fresh Corn Pancakes


Sometimes nothing is as relaxing as sitting on the couch bumming around the internet reading my favorite cooking blogs, pouring over delicious recipes and photographs.  There is an endless number of great foodies out there who inspire me as I read about the amazing things they are whipping up in their kitchens.  It definitely keeps me hungry and eager to continue my own exploits in front of the stove.  One of my favorite blogs is the über-popular Smitten Kitchen.  If you haven’t checked it out yet, I highly recommend it --  the recipes are great and the pictures are a feast for the eyes.

Recently Smitten Kitchen had a post about pancakes with corn, and I jumped at the chance to try it myself.  The bottom shelf of my refrigerator has at least a dozen ears of corn, and I’m eager to try creative ways to use it.  The recipe below is almost exactly Smitten Kitchen’s recipe, except I made two adjustments:  I added ground flax seed for good health, and I made my own buttermilk by using regular milk and cider vinegar.  It’s a great trick that my mother and grandmother taught me.

These pancakes are amazing, and garnered rave reviews from my guests.  They’re the perfect combination of sweet and savory.  In fact, no one used maple syrup to adorn these delectable corn pancakes.  I served them with a side of crispy bacon, and everything was gone is no time.  I definitely recommend these for your next Sunday brunch with friends.  Smitten Kitchen’s original recipe is located here.  Below is my slight variation.

Fresh Corn Pancakes
2 tbs butter
Corn kernels cut from one fresh ear of corn
Dash of salt
1 egg, beaten
1 ¼ cups milk (I like a combination of regular and skim)
2 tbs cider vinegar
½ tsp vanilla
1 tbs sugar
¾ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup cornmeal
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda

To begin, combine the milk and the vinegar in a bowl (or measuring cup) and let it sit for at least 20 minutes, but 30 minutes would be preferable.  You’re creating your own buttermilk!

Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large pan over medium heat.  Add the corn and sauté for about 5 minutes, or until the fragrance of corn fills the air and they are just beginning to brown.  Add a dash of salt and set aside.

In a small bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and baking soda.  Set aside.  When the buttermilk has curdled, add it to a large bowl with the egg, corn, vanilla and sugar.  Whisk.  Then gently stir the dry ingredients into the egg mixture, being careful not to overbeat.

Heat a large skillet over medium heat, and grease with a pat of butter.  Drop the batter into the pan by even ladlefuls.  Flip when the pancakes have tiny surface bubbles and the edges are ever so slightly brown and crispy.  Cook for an additional two to three minutes, or until done.  Enjoy with a sprinkle of powdered sugar, maple syrup or just alongside a platter of hearty bacon and sausage!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...