October 4, 2010

Speedy Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies


The mood to make cookies might strike at any moment.  This can be rather inconvenient when you’re craving freshly baked cookies but your butter is still in the refrigerator, stiff and cold.  So what’s a girl with a hankering for cookies to do?  Sure, I could wait a few hours for the butter to soften on the counter, or maybe try my luck and pop it in the microwave without making it melt.  Neither option is a good one.  I choose option number three: remove butter from the equation entirely!

A friend of mine introduced me to the convenience of making cookies with vegetable oil.  Yes, I was aghast when I first heard this suggestion, too.  After all, it’s the butter that makes a cookie truly delectable.  But you’ll be pleasantly surprised when you taste these oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.  The oil keeps them moist and most importantly, it makes these cookies very fast and easy to make.  Feel like a cookie right now?  In just a few minutes you’ll be savoring the melty chocolate and the chewy oatmeal, piping hot from the oven.  I make these with an equal measure of whole wheat flour and all-purpose flour, because I try to get little health benefits wherever I can.  The whole wheat flour also adds a subtle but pleasant nuttiness, and a slightly chewier texture.  Try it and let me know what you think about these.  I’ll definitely make them whenever I get a sudden yearning for cookies without pre-planning for softened butter!

Speedy Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies
½ cup whole wheat flour
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
¾ tsp salt
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1/3 cup light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup rolled oats
½ cup chocolate chunks

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.  In a small bowl, combine the flours, baking soda and baking powder.  Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the salt, oil, sugars, egg and vanilla.  Add the flour mixture and stir just until combined.  Mix in the oats and chocolate chunks.

Drop by rounded tablespoons (or use a small ice cream scoop) onto the lined baking sheet.  Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...